Meeting house development
Can you help us with the final push?
Lewes Quakers first met in 1655 and the meeting house was erected in 1784. There have been alterations over the centuries, but major repairs and improvements are needed now both to preserve our heritage and to address our concerns for sustainability, accessibility and community.
There are many original features in the meeting house, including wood panels and listed benches, but rot has been found in the balcony, which is now closed for safety. In addition to meetings for worship, the building is used by many people in the local community, including groups for meditation and for adult learning, groups that support parents, refugees, carers and more. However, the steps and tight corners make access difficult for some. We know our building could be more inclusive and hospitable, and we would like to work more effectively with local groups on our Quaker concerns, including social change and climate justice.
We have raised most of the funds required to complete the works, but we still need £30,000!
We are making the following improvements:
- Safer step-free access from Styles Way, with a new front gate.
- An extension at the back, providing a welcoming entrance foyer and corridor with level access to all rooms.
- Doing essential repairs to the historic listed building, including damp-proofing.
- Making the building more energy efficient by adding sustainable heating and soundproofing.
- Adding two new small rooms, in addition to the two current large rooms. All will be available to hire by Friends and local community groups, organisations and individuals.
- Improvements to the garden, including space to plant two new trees.
Building work began on 7th November 2022 and is due to finish January 2024. Please continue to support our appeal.
Architect’s impression of the new foyer and corridor showing the skylights to give natural lighting inside, (image by Ecotecture).
An update on the project is in each issue of the Meeting’s Newsletter. See the Home Page for link.
Your contribution would be gratefully received by Sussex East Area Quaker Meeting
Registered Charity 1173819
Please see details below for ways to contribute.
By cheque payable to Sussex East Area Quaker Meeting, posted to The Treasurer, Friends Meeting House, Friars Walk, Lewes BN7 2LE.
By BACS transfer to the SEAQM account with your name in the reference field:
Account 21905339 Sort code: 16-58-10
Visit the “Just Giving” page via this link: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/LewesMHand click on the DONATE button.
If you are eligible to Gift Aid your donation, that would be very helpful. A copy of the Gift Aid form can be found below, for you to print, fill out and return to the Treasurer at the address listed above.
Gift aid declaration form (click on the highlighted text to open document)
Thank you so much, Friends.